Fort's Toyota banner

TIM
WALMSLEY

Tim's Big Game Blog

A giant 8-pointer from Kentucky

Sat, December 31, 2011

Fred KY

This is a year of some giant 8 points.  All I can say is “Whow!”  The email says Fred from Kentucky. I wouldn’t mind being Fred from Kentucky on this one!

Fred KY buck

Comments

I WONDER WHEN I SEE PICS WITH LARGE DEER SCORES?  NO TAGS VISIBLE? PREVIOUS PICS TAKEN OF LIVE DEER? FIRST NAME OF HUNTERS ONLY AND SOMETIMES FACES BLOCKED?  ZOMBIE DEER OR HIGH FENCE?  FAIRCHASE? BAITING? JUST WHAT IS OUR SPORT COMING TO?  MONEY AND GREED OR JUST PLAIN SELF RECOGNITION? GOD BLESS U FRED BEAR I KNOW U WOULD BE TUNING OVER EVERY TIME HE HEARD THESE STORIES! MUST INDIVIDUALS THAT LIE AND CHEAT EVEN SHARE A TRADITION THAT SOME SPORTSMAN LOVE SO DEARLY! THIS IS JUST MY OPINION OF A TRUE SPORTSMAN THAT LUVS TO GIVE ANIMALS A FAIR CHANCE!

Posted by WILDMAN on December 31

amen.

Posted by virtualSniper on December 31

Guys, I don’t think Fred would be the first hunter to take pics of a giant deer before putting a tag on. Also he may have a leg tag on the beast. Like everyone else, I hope it’s a legal kill of a huge 8.

Posted by GalenaBob on December 31

I agree with galenabob. i just looked at the picture of the buck i shot this year…i definitely didnt tag it before the picture. If you look at the body of the deer in the picture you can tell it hasnt been field dressed yet either..he found his buck and wanted a picture of it before he did anything to it. cant blame the guy…i did the same thing. although it is unfortunate that there is always that thought lingering in the back of your head on whether or not it was a legit kill…these days its not a guarantee that it was..but i think fred took this bruiser legally, just a victim of the times and excitement to get a pic before placing a tag on him. great buck fred!

Posted by BucknBass84 on December 31

The Illinois head tag only has to be used if the head/anlters are being transported to a taxidermist…  The leg tag is the one that is supposed to be attached upon recovery or transport of the deer…

Don’t know KY law, but just because you don’t see a tag in a picture doesn’t mean a deer is poached…

Posted by outdoorlivin247 on December 31

WILDMAN, in future why don’t you save us from your rant and just say “nice deer”. Stop speculating and assuming things. Take it for what it is——BIG

Posted by PDSINK on December 31

At least he is smiling.  That is a beautiful buck.

Posted by mattster on December 31

Just asked my buddy who hunts down there and they don’t have head tags. They only have leg tags. So different state, different laws. I’m sure alot of people take pics before they tag it.

Posted by ilarcher on December 31

fred shot a deer of a lifetime, and wildman talks like he should be thrown in jail, no visible tag (big deal) does that make fred a poacher?

Posted by pbpete on January 01

Bill Walker THIS IS MY OPINION AND ITS NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY U MAKE OR U HAVE, OR POLITICS AND I DONT RAISE DEER FOR A LIVIN.  MY BELIEVE IS THAT TO ACHIEVE A GOAL OF A TROPHY ANIMIAL IT MUST BE REACHED AND ALONG THE WAY THERE IS A LEARNING PROCESS TO ACHIEVE THAT GOAL.  THAT IS THE WAY I LEARNED TO HUNT AND THAT IS THE WAY I WOULD LIKE MY GRANDSON TO LEARN.  ITS ABOUT TRADITION AND HANDING DOWN A SPORT TO OTHER GENERATIONS OF HUNTERS IN WAY THAT IT IS NEVER ENDING LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT.  NOT, SOMETHING THAT I COULD BUY HIM AND HE SHOOTS A 200 PLUS SCORING DEER AND THE DOOR IS CLOSED.  BOYS THIS IS NOT A VIDEO GAME AND I DO SUPPORT A TRADITION THAT WAS PASSED ON TO ME FROM MY GRANDPA, WE DID NOT GO OUT IN THE BACK YARD IN A LARGE FENCE JUST TO SHOOT A DEER AND THATS IT. MAYBE AMERICANS TODAY HAVE ANY THING THEY WANT AND CAN SAY ANYTHING THEY WANT BUT IT ALL WAS ACHIEVED THRU GENERATIONS OF INDIVIDUALS THAT DIED FOR THE FREEDOM THAT THEY BELIEVED.  SO BOYS THAT BEING SAID, I HOPE U ALL HAD A HAPPY NEW YEAR JUST REMEMBER U CAN’T EAT ANTLERS! p.s. It did seem strange the the background of the picture is identical to the picture of the deer when it was alive? By no means ” I thought Fred should be thrown in jail” congrats Fred nice deer!

Posted by WILDMAN on January 01

amen.

Posted by pbpete on January 01

It’s sad that these days when a guy shoots a trophy that’s worthy some praise and congrats, you have d-bags like WILDMAN around that wants to throw stones and talk smack without knowing ANY details! Pathetic!

Posted by Cornfed on January 01

lets keep this clean gentlemen….we cant control some peoples words/actions..but we can control our on..lets keep this site “friendly”

Posted by BucknBass84 on January 02

own*

Posted by BucknBass84 on January 02

Speaking as a Kentucky resident, we do not have to use carcass tags of any sort unless the animal leaves our possession.  If that is the case, you make your own tag with the pertinent info and confirmation number from check in and attach it somewhere on the carcass.

You guys need to do some fact checking before going off on a venemous rant.. and maybe have your eyes checked.  The only thing similar in the two pictures is a grassy area with woods behind it.. the same thing that can be found in literally billions of places in the US.

Posted by tomahawk on January 03

Since you mentioned Fred Bear check out this link if you scroll down some you may recognize some people.

Posted by The Truth on January 03

My name is Fred Pape and I harvested the nice 8 pointer in question.

After bow hunting over 8 weeks on my farm in western Kentucky on Nov 12 for the first time I saw this deer which I had photos from my Buckeye Cam game camera. I was hunting a deep hollow as it was very windy on this evening hunt. As the deer came to feed on red oak acorn I drew to shoot at 17 yards, however I had to let down because too much brush for a shot, I waited for him to give me an open shot at 2o yards. He traveled only 40 and died within sight of my tree stand.

I am a member of QDMA and on my farm I practice QDM, we only bow hunt and do not bait but plant summer and winter food plots.

The photo taken by game camera was 1/2 mile from where deer was killed, the photo taken with me and deer was taken next to my utility building, 3 miles from game camera photo site, yes the deer had been field dressed, yes we know how to photograph a deer. The buck grossed 157 5/8.

Since Fred Bear was mentioned, my friend and hunting partner Fred Bear would be happy for me.

Posted by Fred-Pape on January 03

congratulations on the 8 pointer you took fred, maybe people like wildman and virtualsniper will think twice before flying off the handle!

Posted by pbpete on January 04

My god how did this tag thing get started of all things.  Why would it even cross anyone’s mind that this deer isn’t legally tagged?  How come everytime someone shoots a nice deer, someone has to have a conspiracy theory?

Posted by yellowstone on January 05

Fred - please forgive us here in IL we have been jaded by DNR officers harrassing those that post pics on websites.  Mix that with a run of tool boxes poaching deer to become famous and you get a high dose of suspicion.  Please in the future do not feel the need to vindicate or explain yourself to anyone. Hunting is a tradition and it’s ethics are simple, it is unfortunate that we live in a time where hunters idolize sideburns, tattoos, and a bunch of idiots that want you to listen to there line of bull on TV so you will buy there merchandise.  After reading this I realize that you are cut from the same cloth as most of us- you are one of the good ones.

Posted by PIMPSTAFFER HATER on January 11