Northern Illinois Sports Show

March 2019
February 2019

Marc
MARC
ANTHONY

Non-Typical Hunter

I’ve got the itch again!

Mon, October 18, 2010

After last week’s BBD, I told myself I’ll take some time off and rest a bit. OK, I’m rested!

This cooler weather is really getting me fired up. Although I’m hearing the same complaint from many hunters regarding low sightings, I have to reiterate to hunt differently this time of year. The key here is to change your times and your locations!

One of the reasons I got so burnt out last week was because I was so obessed in getting one of the two bucks I was after. I definitely pushed the outer envelope with that one! I was in the timber from dawn until dusk, trying to catch them in route. I got to the point where I was starting to take the fun away from the sport. Never again! What I have decided to do is to hunt the optimum times instead of the all day thing. What you need to know now is to hunt the bucks in the late morning and early afternoon IN THE TIMBER, not on the field edges. Around here, try working the timber around 9:30 am. - noon and then again around 1:30 pm. to 3:30 pm or longer. Some hunters just don’t get this concept but they DO MOVE in the middle of the day this time of year. Get in the middle of the acorn masts that are near water and preferably in the lower lying elevations. The does will move in the mornings more than the bucks will now I believe. So do yourself a favor, sleep in, eat a good breakfast and hunt in the late morning.

I have been using my time off this week wisely by revamping my non typical hunter website. It’s not finished yet but I’m offering new services and am going to add an interactive question and answer page. It will save me 50 emails a day if a reader posts his/her question on the site and for me to answer it online for the others to read. I’ll even be posting the details about a new trade show I’m organizing for next year in the Peoria area! Once I get the details ironed out, I’ll let everybody in on it. A few more days on the computer and I’ll be back in the timber!

This weekend is gun turkey season, so I’m going to grab the old cannon, AKA the 10 gauge, and head out with my son to bag some Thanksgiving vittles! It should be fun.

Comments

I can’t do it.  It would drive me nuts to be all finished before November ever gets here.

Good luck!

Posted by shootist on October 18

Getting in the stand an hour early was a waste of time this past weekend.  As much as I tried to slow down the leaves and stick crunching was just way too noisy and just pushed the deer out of the area. I’ll take your advice, but since I’m up early, I think I’ll hunt the edge of a bean field in the morning (quiet easy access) and then move into the woods.
Look forward to your website update.

Posted by BIGPOND on October 19

Why do you say the low lying areas?  More secluded?

Posted by Treehugger on October 19

One more question, Marc.  I have several recent trail cam videos of bucks and does eating under a walnut tree.  Not sure if they’re eating dropped walnuts or clover under the high grass in that area.  I don’t know much about walnuts as a food source.  Are they a preferred food source?

Posted by Treehugger on October 19

Treehugger, after I wrote that, I just knew someone would ask me about that! Usually, in the middle of the day, deer like high ground, so hilltops, etc, would have been great spots for them. With the heat we had last week, they’ll travel and feed along the lower, cooler areas that are along the water routes, especially when there’s a drought like we’ve been having. Now that it’s been a little cooler this week, the lower ground isn’t so important because of the heat, but it is important because of the lack of water! Deer drink water all of the time and water is a very important element regarding their locations. If you have water on higher ground, then by all means, hunt the higher ground but only if there’s an acorn mast!

Posted by Marc Anthony on October 19

Deer like nuts too! I’m not sure what their eating under that tree but it would be a great idea to investigate what they like about that tree so much! Maybe you can find an identical source in a different area that will provide you with another opportunity!

Posted by Marc Anthony on October 19

The tree is a perfectly mature walnut that drops tons of nuts every year that I’ve owned the place.  I put the camera there because there’s a new scrape under it’s neighboring hedge tree.  The scrape went from a smallish two-footer to a big four-footer in one night.  Though I’ve got bucks of every age group at that scrape, and a few does too, not one buck has touched that scrape on camera.  A couple have used the licking branch (the younger ones) but mostly they’re just smelling the ground and eating “something” under the grass.  It should also be noted that all this is taking place at about 10:30 at night at a field edge next to my bean plot.  Tonight I plan on getting into the timber about 100 yards from that area.  Trying to cover all bases at this point.  The stand I’m hunting tonight has an acorn dropper and an apple dropper right next to each other…both being 40-50 yards from the creek.  Wish me luck.

Posted by Treehugger on October 19

A few days ago, I put a trail cam on a small ponding of water in the dry creek.  It is bottom ground and I have never seen it so dry.  Along the creek there are two small pools of water (10-20 feet long by 6 feet wide)in a 250 yard stretch.  I am more excited than usual to check that camera.  The deer that are living there have never been alive when it was this dry.  Like I said, it is major bottom ground.

Posted by shootist on October 19

No deer tonight, but I did switch sd cards on that camera on my way out.  42 videos in 3 days.  Lots of wind vids and 10 deer vids.  Does, a small 7 and a decent 10.  Good videos…they were all eating walnuts and could care less about the camera.  At least I know what they’re eating now.

Posted by Treehugger on October 19