Brad Belser real estate hunting property Illinois

ho march cover illinois bass

April 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017

Marc
MARC
ANTHONY

Non-Typical Hunter

Conceal Carry course highly recommended!

Wed, November 27, 2013

I just completed my Illinois conceal carry class and received my graduation certification. As many of you know, Illinois was the last state to legalize CC and didn’t want it, but due to a Supreme court ruling they had to comply. Beginning January 1st 2014, Illinois will begin the authorization of CC permits.

As of lately, classes are popping up offering the required training needed to possess the Illinois CC permit. With January just weeks away, now is the time to get on board with good instruction! I reviewed and participated in this class from KAM Shooting Sports with Kevin Moody and Ken Simmons as lead instructors. I was very impressed and satisfied with the instruction! They took their time, offered an open forum where you could easily and comfortably ask questions along the way, in addition to keeping the shooting phase completely safe and smooth running. Nobody was rushed and everybody had more than adequate one-on-one time if needed.

I especially appreciated the fact that our instructors had decades of military and law enforcement experience. That’s important because a person can get a better understanding of what should be done from a police officer and ex-marine’s perspective. If you want to learn more, feel free to read the entire article I wrote on qualifying and required documents/items to bring:  http://nontypicalhunter.com/2013/11/27/illinois-conceal-carry-course-highly-recommended/

Comments

I recently took the CCW course, in my opinion it is a huge waste of money!!  The prohibitions are so great, you can not carry it in most places in this state where one would need it the most!  You can not carry it on any form of public transportation in Illinois, you can not walk into a mall with one, you can go into a store but not in a mall, you cannot carry it through a festival or any type of large public gathering, you can not carry it on any COOK Co. forest preserve property/ bike trail(where there have been a string of muggings and armed robberies), you cannot carry it in a library or library parking lot, can not carry it into a post office, into any village or city hall, can not carry it in any church or church parking lot….  so on and so on..  I would advise anyone in wanting to get one, to take their time and look up the prohibitions to CCW in Illinois.  I took the class and wasted $350, I refuse to give this state any more of my money!  After the $350 for the 16 hour course, you have to pay another $150 for the permit and $50 for finger printing at a specified vendor!  So total cost would be $550 and renew every 5 years for $150!! An absolute joke!  This state is setting people up for failure!

Posted by whitetailkrazy on November 27

Posted by whitetailkrazy on November 27

As of now, some of the restrictions, etc. are changing slowly. You can carry in a church, but it’s up to the individual church to deny it. You can carry it through a festival but not “to” a festival. You can carry it on a bike trail and state parks too! Businesses; it’s up to them to deny you with a sign on their door. Many won’t and some will. Another point I would like to make is not all pricing is the same! This course for 16 hours was about $225.00 and if you were like me and only needed 8 hours, it’s half. There’s also discounts for military, seniors, etc. I totally agree with you that this state is out to rip you off and make it difficult for us to carry, but I say fight back. If you only have to use your gun once to save you or a family member, you alone proved its usefulness. Regarding Chicago, I have no desire to travel there anyway, so they can do what they want up there.

One last point is the training here will be honored in several other states, even though our great state won’t honor theirs. You gotta love Illinois.

Posted by Marc Anthony on November 27

I have no love for the city of Chicago, yet it is in that city that we need it most!  My course cost included ammo and range time, I know cost varies..  Regarding bike trails in Cook Co.., a vast majority are run by the Cook Co. forest preserve where it is illegal.  A point I would like to make on the church’s, is that the church can not be adjacent to or connected to any school!  They make these laws for those who abide by them, the lawless could care less!

Posted by whitetailkrazy on November 28

Just think everybody, If you look back in history Illinois was part of Wisconsin at one time. I wonder if we could give it back to Wisconsin.
One can dream can’t he!

Posted by SWAMPMAN on November 30

I’m sorry I meant Chicago was part of Wisconsin….........

Posted by SWAMPMAN on November 30

FYI… You can have a gun in any parking lot anywhere in the state, even in prohibited areas.  You must store your gun before you exit the vehicle in a container, console, or glove box.  If you want to store it in your trunk, you may legally carry the gun outside your vehicle to put it in the trunk.  However, you must unload your firearm prior to exiting your vehicle.  Vehicles are safe harbors in any restricted area in the state.

Posted by Treehugger on December 02

You may not have a gun in a parking lot of a nuclear facility.
Second the compliments on Kevin and Ken’s course.  CCW in IL is not the best in its implementation but it is what we have.
Kevin has done an outstanding job of following up for his students, sending better certificates, posting a link to an online tutorial for getting your application in, hosting a fingerprinting session(s), and even helping folks go through the application process.
Many others out there hold the class, take the money and you are on your own.
I’ve known Ken Simmons for years and he is also a genuinely good guy…even went to Joplin on his own dime to search for bodies after the tornado.

Posted by PapaG on January 27