1 of 3
Wild Hogs in ILL
Posted: 24 January 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  900
Joined  2010-10-03

We have all heard the talk about wild hogs moving into Ill and even a bunch getting released in Central Illinois a few years back.  I am curious to hear about where all the confirmed sightings are.  I just got word this weekend of hogs crossing I74 and seen in north knox county.

Help me fill out this map of all the confirmed counties that have wild hogs.

Signature 

It’s like a blind person trying to describe a kaleidoscope

Posted: 24 January 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2010-09-30

I hunt in knox county and have heard similar reports recently.  I hope they aren’t true.

Posted: 24 January 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2010-10-08

You can probably add the southern-most 11 Counties with confidence.

Posted: 24 January 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

Found some info that called out the southern counties now highlighted.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1073
Joined  2010-10-13

Id love too chase wild hogs with da bow!!!!....I dont think i want them around my place though…..

Posted: 24 January 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-10-01

The State-Journal Register had a story a while back on hogs in Illinois. It lists these counties as having confirmed reports of feral hogs Christian, Clay, Effingham, Fayette, Fulton, Henry, Jackson, Kane, Knox , Lawrence, Macon, Marion, Pike, and Sangamon. http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x918440336/Illinois-gears-up-to-fight-feral-hogs?zc_p=0

About four years ago I saw one a few times in Christian Co. between Pana and Assumption. I only ever saw one so I am assuming it was an escaped farm animal that went feral. It was HUGE.

Signature 

A link to my nature blog, Nature Close Up.
My Flickr photos can be found here, Flickr

Posted: 24 January 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

Thanks for the info illin.  They are spreading..

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2012 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-10-21

Interesting they have several of the counties I hunt.  Never heard about feral hogs in them.  Must be a few escapees in Clay and Marion Co.  Several years ago I got an email with feral hog pics from Effingham Co., my orginal stompin grounds.  I had as much faith in those pics as the cougar/bigfoot chain mails.

Signature 

Have bow will travel

Posted: 25 January 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2010-11-30

Lived here in Western Sangamon my whole life and know hunters around the county as well and never have heard of anyone seeing a wild hog. I would tend to agree that maybe some hogs here and there got loose and that is what was spotted. I know and talk to a lot of farmers and I think I would hear about them, or they would call and have me or my buddy come shoot them, no way are they going to let them tear up their fields if it can be helped.

Posted: 25 January 2012 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

I am going to have to agree with everyone on most sightings being loose farm pigs and not your typical wild hog.  Seems like it just takes one hog running thru a field to categorize a county to have wild hogs.  I think this list of counties is going to have to change and not include any stats from the news or dnr.  Just real facts from trusted sources.

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2012 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30

I can see maybe Pike with them bordering Missouri, but none in Brown, Adams, Morgan, Cass and even Macoupin and Hancock how could they be here in Sangamon before showing up in these counties. Kind of like several years ago where I live, a farmer retired and sold off all his cattle, the bull got away and ran wild for about 3 or 4 years before being caught. Does that make it we had wild cattle, no, but I tell you, you was on your toes when you hunted in that area!

Posted: 25 January 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

ok.  Lets step back and see where we are.  I updated the map to the southern counties and the two in central where at least I have heard multiple accounts of more than just one hog running around.

Where else do we know is a confirmed presence of “wild hogs”

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2010-10-08
MattS - 25 January 2012 11:40 AM

ok.  Lets step back and see where we are.  I updated the map to the southern counties and the two in central where at least I have heard multiple accounts of more than just one hog running around.

Where else do we know is a confirmed presence of “wild hogs”

These 2 articles below would probably help:

McCann, BE. 2003.  The Feral Hog in Illinois.  Master’s Thesis. Southern Illinois-Carbondale.

Feldhamer, GA and BE McCann. 2004. Dental Anomalies in Wild and Domestic Sus scrofa in Illinois. Acta Theriologica 49: 139-143.

According to the 2004 reference, wild pig populations were “documented in 11 counties”:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p335h22227u2023m/

The link is all I have. May be nice to get the full article.  Maybe a friendly email to Dr. Feldhamer at SIU would help wink  I’m sure he could tell you how many more Counties have been added since 2004.

Posted: 25 January 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-11-04

I have a buddy whose has trail cam photos of hogs in Fayette County. Also, hunted Late-winter doe hunt in Mcdonough and Fulton Counties last weekend. A guy i hunted with up there has killed over 20 hogs this year. He has seen several groups with 12-15 piglets. When i was leaving to go home on Sunday, his son killed a sow full of piglets. they are definately established in this area.

Posted: 25 January 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

I sent Feldhamer an email.  Hope to hear something.
To view those articles, I would have to pay for them. 

FULLDRAW, thanks for the info.  Thats the proof we need.  So they are established in Mcdonough?

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30

FULLDRAW-I don’t think anyone is saying that there are not wild hogs in certain area’s but are they from here or have they migrated in, I think that is the main question. I was just in Fayette County this week, went to my cousins funeral and with the draws, hills and hollows ever there, it wouldn’t suprise me to see the guys from the bigfoot hunters show there. And you are right on the number of little ones they can have, when I was younger and working on a hog farm I have seen litters of 20 plus that was born. Now a lot of them died but they would still have 13-14 that survived. The only thing I believe that would kind of help keep the numbers down here in IL. is the winters. The cold would be hard, real hard on the litters born in the late fall through early winter. Southern IL. could be a different story, but it really doesn’t matter, with the crops we have here and the size of litters they can have it would not take long to have a great big mess on our hnads.

1 of 3

‹‹ Hunting Treerats!!!!!      Problem Beavers ››

{_snip_ad_leaderboard_main_noweather_}