Giant Goose Ranch
Heartland Outdoors Forum | ITS OVER!!!!!

1 of 2
ITS OVER!!!!!
Posted: 18 January 2016 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1289
Joined  2010-10-13

Its been a season with afew highs and ALOT of lows. The spots hunted this year just didnt have the numbers of the past. I can say im totally glad its over and looking forward to finding afew sheds and FISHING…..How did your deer season go?

Posted: 18 January 2016 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2012-01-23

Yep, glad its over also. I didn’t fill a tag this year, but it wasn’t because of lack of deer. Just never worked out, and was never presented a real good shot I felt comfortable with. Now that I’m older in life I find it not near as important to pull the trigger as I did when I was younger. The first year since 89 that I have not filled a tag of any type, but I’m ok with that. I seen a lot of good young bucks this last LWS, and it is looking good for next season in my area. A friend took an older doe during the first gun season off the farm, but that was all that was taken this year. Have about six deer every night feeding in the clover field by the house, but those are house deer, and we don’t bother them. I ‘m heading to the saltwater soon, and will be pulling grouper, and slob snapper up soon, then a few cobia when it warms up. April can not get here soon enough to catch a few cobia.

RTT

Posted: 18 January 2016 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  843
Joined  2010-10-15

Glad it’s over but always sad to see it go.  I had my chance on a huge buck and just blew it.  No excuses!  Totally blew it.  The good part is he’s made it through all the many gun seasons so may get another chance next season.  Had two 140 class bucks within 20 yards with no possible shot and seen a nice 3 year old so next year looking good so far. 
One area I hunt is like a ghost town this year so won’t be hittin that next year.  The deer are just gone.  Other spots were below average but still seen a decent amount of deer.

Posted: 18 January 2016 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Andy, I have alot of deer that haunt me over missed shots,catching my wind, or just looking up at me….lol

Posted: 18 January 2016 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

I hear ya man.  This one definitely haunting me.  Every damn day!  Maybe I’ll find his sheds, atleast I hope.

Posted: 19 January 2016 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2010-11-30

I got Vertigo Sept. 29th and wasn’t able to hunt once all year. Really missed being in the stand a lot.

Posted: 19 January 2016 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

Berlin sorry to hear that.  Better now?

Posted: 19 January 2016 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Sorry to hear that berlin..What was causing it?

Posted: 19 January 2016 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30

I’me about 90% when I walk it’s kind of how a bobble head looks with my vision. I still wouldn’t trust getting in a stand or go out and cut firewood. A sinus infection is probably what caused it, got the balance between my eyes and ears out of wack. Laying down was OK but sitting and standing was like when you get drunk and lay down and the bed spins that what it was constantly. Felt good but have never been so bored in my life. If I looked up it about brought me to my knees. IT SUCKED

Posted: 19 January 2016 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

That’s sounds pretty terrible!  Good that you’re almost over it though

Posted: 19 January 2016 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Damn berlin im glad your getting better. You get low on firewood or need any help let me know.

Posted: 19 January 2016 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30

I am good for now WTF and I have plenty of good friends who would help me. Have to buy some beer though!!! WTF do you remember my name and are you on face book. I got my deer head back with in 5 months and I only have a computer here at work. If you or some one else wants to friend me. I wouldn’t care if they posted the picture!!!!!!!!

Posted: 19 January 2016 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Berlin, Im anti-facebook buddy…Ill send ya a pm with my email and would love to see the deer mounted…

Posted: 19 January 2016 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-01

Well this is the 2nd year I have not filled a tag, archery or shotgun. We had EHD a few years back and a moron neighbor that killed everything that walked by so our deer numbers really dropped. This year I was very excited though my husband got a nice buck. He hadn’t shot one in several years either.
One of the coolest experiences I had was with a buck that charged my decoy, I have never had that happen. He hit it so hard broke a leg, put a hole in the chest from his antlers, and launched it about 15 feet from where it was staked down, with body parts laying all over. I never did get a shot on him. He was the one buck I was after, figures. He now has a nick name though…Nemesis. A solid 8 pointer who is very symmetrical. I have pictures of him all over the farm and he had made it through last Saturday. So hopefully he can avoid cars and get through the winter.
Still for me I would rate it as a very successful season. I really enjoyed my time in the outdoors, had a lot of encounters with deer, squirrels, and birds. I love the de-stressing that I get from sitting in a stand and that is worth more than anything else. Now on to shed hunting.

Posted: 20 January 2016 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Outdoors, You had an awesome year. The de-stresssing part makes the hunt successful EVERY time;)

Posted: 20 January 2016 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-10-13

I ended up with tag soup.  Actually spent time bow hunting in October in So. Ill had a buck walk right under me, but soon as I pulled back, he looked up and saw me.

Did not see a deer at all during Muzzle loader season in Tazewell.  Missed a doe the sunday of first gun season.  Had 5 deer come out 100 yards away during the last antlerless season, but no good shot with all the trees and tree limbs in the way.  elected not to shoot and just wound a deer with no good shot.

now is clearance time at the stores.  Scheels had sabots on clearance and for 4.99 a bag, I bought out what they had on the shelf.

Til next year.

1 of 2