Giant Goose Ranch
Heartland Outdoors Forum | Deer movement and rutting activity

1 of 2
Deer movement and rutting activity
Posted: 07 October 2015 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-11-05

So how’s the deer movement and rutting activity where you hunt?  Lets include what you’re seeing, the county you hunt, and the time and weather during your hunt to post.
I hunt both Will and Grundy counties.  My stands are hung but usually do not get out until the end of October and of course, the beginning of November.  Trail cams are checked once a week and so far have only showed mature bucks to be nocturnal.
Corn and bean fields are just starting to come out so an evening hunt is in my near future for my ag field stands.  Good luck everyone.

Posted: 07 October 2015 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  843
Joined  2010-10-15

Seeing small bucks and does in the evenings on acorns.  Spotted a couple of small boundary scrapes and a few rubs.  3 young bucks are hanging together.  Not paying much attention to the does.  Found a dead coyote in a dry creek on the way in.  Moultrie county   Temps were a little warm but it was just good to be out sittin.  Bumper crop of squirrels this year.

Posted: 08 October 2015 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

Scouted a new area today for a bit.  Several rubs and scrapes. Seen an otter in a creek and running down the bank.  Only the 2nd one I’ve ever seen in the wild.

Posted: 12 October 2015 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2012-09-03

Went out friday evening with a NW wind had 1 stand I could hunt with this wind got 20 ft from stand and got busted just my luck.  got at least 2 sets of twins with mama running around but not what im after, my cousins son shot a Booner Saturday morning. Its a real nice one. Got 10 days until vacation but im not counting. I have not seen any scraping or rubs as of 10/9/15

Signature 

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  Albert Einstein

Posted: 16 October 2015 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-09-04

Saw rutting activity while hunting the last two days in Lawrence county.  Not many rubs or scrapes but does being chased.  Big bucks still coming out just about dark.

Posted: 23 October 2015 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

My buddy shot a doe this morning around 8.  Went to help get her out and found a nice buck from last year that was pretty chewed up.  Would have been a stud this year.  I’m guessing someone shot him and couldn’t find him.

Posted: 27 October 2015 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

Been seeing a little doe fawn following this forky around for a few days now.  Momma might have been shot or hit by a car.  They are always together.  He licks her nose and waits for her to catch up when she falls behind.  Pretty entertaining.  Had them right under me the last two mornings.  She bleats at him non stop.  Never seen anything like it.

Posted: 27 October 2015 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

Sat in the rain twice today.  Got video of a 3 year old 10 pointer at 5-10 yards this evening.  130ish.  Big body.  Made a good hunt into a great one.

Posted: 28 October 2015 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2014-11-07

went out Saturday the 24th, seen a 150sh 10 pointer walking through the woods, wouldn’t come any closer than 46 yards.  He walked right by a doe and they didn’t even look at each other.  all in all a great hunt, just wished he would of cut 10-15 yards off his range.  Will be off all next week to chase em.

Posted: 28 October 2015 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2015-01-12

Small bucks have been chasing for 2 weeks now on our farm,  Sorry about the time stamp on the camera this was last sunday evening,  Wise old   8 1/2 year old we are after this year, Actually we where after him last also, As he reached is prime last year, Anyway I saw him on my sit sunday afternoon but he was off in the distance,
[youtube]https://youtu.be/1UlAZLQuvDY[/youtube]

Trust me , this is the earliest we have seen him chasing doe’s

Actually this entire past   week alot of   3 yr.olds a couple of   4 yr old, have been moving good it daylight.

Posted: 01 November 2015 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-11-05

Did a Friday morning hunt and it was very slow. We had high winds on Wednesday and Thursday, with Friday morning being 35 degrees and calm. Thought for sure some cruising or chasing would be going on but nothing. Great fresh sign and new rubs and scrapes popping up. Cams still showing mature bucks nocturnal. My buddy who hunts Will Co also did say he saw some chasing going on but they were younger bucks.
Out right now for an evening hunt but very warm. Supposed to be in the 70’s for the next couple days. Can’t kill em on the couch though. Will keep you posted.

Posted: 01 November 2015 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2011-10-24

I helped a buddy recover a real nice buck he arrowed on Friday at 3:50pm. This morning, I had a real nice buck chasing does all over a field 100 yds behind me. Obviously the cold front on Thursday/Friday should be absolutely perfect. I know I’ll be in a tree those days.

Posted: 02 November 2015 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

Rattled in a real nice 8 pointer halloween night.  Had him at 15-17 yards with no shot!  Stod behind a big mulberry dead fall for about 30 seconds and walked out totally blocked by the tree.  Heartbreaker! 
Also had 2 young bucks that were 2 year olds I’d guess come in at the same time.  Great hunt but that one will haunt me for a while.  Never shot a big buck on halloween.  Maybe next year.

Posted: 08 November 2015 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

Seeing bucks cruising a lot right now.  Also had 3 bucks chasing a doe yesterday all the way down the creek and back.  No shot but still a great hunt.  The big 8 I’ve been after has dropped off the map.  He’s either locked down with a doe or dead.  Haven’t seen him in about 6 or 7 days. 

Posted: 10 November 2015 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2015-11-10

I hunt Tazewell county and haven’t seen any rutting activity AT ALL! No scrapes anywhere! I shot a doe but lost her on November 1…..she’s the only deer I saw. Weird year for me

Posted: 10 November 2015 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2015-11-10

Where in the world is the rut? Anyone else noticing very little rut activity. I have been sitting like crazy and not hearing any running, seeing much at all. There are plenty of deer where I am at. Just not seeing the behavior. Thought it would be early this year and maybe the warmer temps until recently held it off. Most of my hunting buddies scratching their heads too. Thoughts?? Anyone else experiencing the same. The most I have seen is a little chasing right after dark but not much daytime.

1 of 2