HO Bucks for Bucks
Heartland Outdoors Forum | RACK QUESTION

RACK QUESTION
Posted: 13 November 2014 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2010-11-30

I think most of us will agree that if a buck gets hurt that it will somehow affect his rack growth the following year.

One of my friends that farms and I hunt his property threw this at me one Friday night while consuming adult beverages not to long ago. He said he had heard it for years and I had never heard of it before. He stated that if a buck breaks of a horn or damages his rack some how (no physical damage to the body) that it will affect its growth, the rack, every year after that. I asked if this was while the rack was growing and still in velvet and he said no at anytime.

I don’t see how this would, but what are others thought on this. Good question for the trail cam users that follow certain deer for several years and may have noticed this!

Posted: 13 November 2014 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  843
Joined  2010-10-15

News to me

Posted: 13 November 2014 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2012-10-16

The key to the whole question is whether he also damaged the antler pedicle. The pedicle is the growth center of the antler. If he gets hit by a car while in velvet and it only damages the visible antler, he will only have an abnormal antler that year. If it is hit hard enough that it damages the base of the antler (the pedicle) it will most likely be abnormal the rest of his life. This may be unseen damage that will be evident the next year when the antler develops.

The same goes for your fingernails. If you only damage the visible nail, it will grow out and be normal again. If you injure the base of the nail where it grows from, it will be abnormal the rest of your life.

I hope that makes sense.

Kyle

Posted: 14 November 2014 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2010-11-30

I understand what your saying and that makes a lot of sense. So, the bottom line is that it all depends on how hard the hit is that breaks the horn, and it really wouldn’t matter if it was in velvet or not.

Posted: 14 November 2014 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2012-10-16

That is correct Berlin.

HO Bucks for Bucks