Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-10-27

sold

Posted: 01 April 2014 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2010-10-13

Flat, Do you think my 10year old could handle this gun????Whats recoil like????

Posted: 02 April 2014 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27

like all muzzleloaders the more powder the more kick, but i do think a youth could handle it well, I just recently did some research on muzzleloaders for youth and don’t have the figures off the top of my head but if you load 70-80 grains of powder in there and keep their shots in side 100-120 yards you’ll have good energy and less recoil than a 12 or 20 ga.  and probably about twice the accuracy….  my kids when old enough will start with a lower charge black powder before attempting a shotgun

Posted: 02 April 2014 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2012-10-16

My 10 yr. old daughter shot her first deer last fall with a CVA, loaded with 80gr. and she’s only about 70 #‘s dripping wet.  I added an aftermarket sims butt pad and it was pretty tame especially in comparison to the 20 gauge, even with reduced recoil loads for the 20, it still kicked harder due to the 20 being a pretty light gun.  Most muzzleloaders have a little more weight to them which helps absorb the recoil, you need a good rest for the kids or shooting sticks to help with the weight but it was a great set up for us.  I have 2 more (girl and boy) coming up that will start with the same gun once they are ready and comfortable shooting it.  I think with most young kids you should limit their range to within 80yds untill they get some experience under their belt and this set up is plenty for that range.  Once their ready to extend their shooting range they will be old enough to bump up the powder load to 100gr.
Good luck with the kids, most rewarding hunting experience of my life has been taking the kids hunting!!

Posted: 02 April 2014 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2013-03-15

Bill Winke started his kids hunting with one 50gr pellet and a 250gr bullet.  He limited their range to 75yds I believe, and they did just fine.  I agree that a diluted muzzleloader load is the best way to introduce kids to gun hunting for deer. 

I started out at 110lbs, with 2 3/4” 12ga slugs.  And I busted both my lips with it too!!!!  There was no such thing as target practice.  I shot it one time at a paper plate, and never again unless it was at deer.  I WAS TOO SCARED OF IT!!!!!!!!

A one pellet load could actually be shot by a capable adult with one hand….like a pistol.

Posted: 02 April 2014 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2013-03-15

And that’s an outstanding deal on that gun.  Can’t believe someone hasn’t snatched it up and bragged to their buddies about stealing it from you!!!

Posted: 02 April 2014 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27

if I had more storage room and my wife wasn’t asking why I have so many muzzleloaders i’d be hanging on to it…..I try to pass things on fairly as I’ve been treated really fair over the years…......most times, the scope is half of the cost…....the rifle originally new was like $325 if I remember right

Posted: 03 April 2014 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-27

SOLD!!

HO Bucks for Bucks