Giant Goose Ranch
Heartland Outdoors Forum | Anybody finding any?

2 of 6
Anybody finding any?
Posted: 13 February 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  843
Joined  2010-10-15

Found a good set off a big 9 today and 2 dinkers Gotta be at work at 4

Posted: 13 February 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2010-11-17

Me and a buddy went out yesterday morning and walked alot of timber.  We didn’t find any sheds but we did find 8 dead ones, some fresh, and some probably from spring/summer.  I’m planning on hitting some newly aquired ground tomorrow.  I’ll tell you what guys, just being out there in God’s creation and taking in nature and everything is quite the drug! I’m sure i’m not the only one addicted!  Had two turkeys bust right in front of us, that’s a wake up call.  Then last night I shot a coyote out of my back yard.  First one in 2013. Quite an exciting day

Signature 

If it runs, flies, or drives, I’m interested!

Posted: 15 February 2013 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-04-12

found a couple sheds and 1 dead buck (see photo). My trail cams still showing some bucks with antlers, some with only 1.

Image Attachments
dead_deer.jpg

Posted: 16 February 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2011-11-23

I found a side to an 8 pointer Monday and the one side alone scored 84”!! I lost my grandpa this week that introduced me to fishing and hunting since I was old enough to walk!! I say goodbye to him today so I’ve been having a rough time and haven’t felt like going out much at all!! But maybe I can get out this weekend and let it all out….Im bound and determined to find his other side!! I’ll post pics for you guys if I do!! Good Luck everybody! God Bless…

Signature 

“When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, that’s when you’ll be successful” - Eric Thomas

Posted: 16 February 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2011-10-24

Sorry to hear about your loss tater.  i am sure he left you with a lot of awesome memories.  Post the side you found even if you dont find the other!

Posted: 16 February 2013 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-12-20

My grandpa also gave me the passion for the outdoors, so really sorry for your loss taterbug.  Found a dead 8 pointer along the creek, possibly an EHD buck from summer, half of his rack was buried in the dirt.  No sheds!

Posted: 16 February 2013 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

Tater bug   My grandpa was John Wayne to me!  My hero and my best friend.  I’ll carry his name on my arm til my last day!  He’s with me every time I wake up, but especially when I’m in the woods.  I feel your pain brother and I’m sorry.  I have the arrowhead I found the day my grandpa died in a case in my dresser.  I was shed hunting and found it while crossing a small field.  Later I learned my hero had passed and I had left my phone at home.

Posted: 16 February 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

We managed to scrape up 5 today.  I found a small set, my buddy found 2 dinkers, and his boy joined the brotherhood today with his 1st horn and it was a dandy for a first!  130ish ( 130 class buck lol).  Hopefully he’s hooked!  Makes you all warm and fuzzy to take a kid out and he finds his first shed!  Awesome day! 

The tally continues to rise!  We found 9 dead deer today.  3 bucks, 6 does.  59 for the year so far.

Posted: 16 February 2013 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2011-10-24

59 dead deer!  Hello DNR, one guy and his buddies have found 59 dead deer!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 17 February 2013 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-05-08

Walked the woods with the dogs for 3 hrs. Did not find a one. Later that evening I hopped in the car about a hour before dark to known places deer come out in the fields to feed. Seen 6 different groups of deer and the bucks still had headgear. No wonder I haven’t found any yet.
Shouldn’t be long however and I’ll give it another try. I’d like to find some to train my hound with. His nose is better than my eyes!

Posted: 17 February 2013 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-02-17

Found 3 so far, there all small. EHD wiped us out, I am sure we probably lost 90% last summer.  I have several big skulls with antlers with the salvage tags i probably have seen easily 75 dead deer remains in a roughly 5 square mile area. Most of the deer I found last summer at the edges of ponds or creeks and river banks. I live in east central il in coles co. I talked with a DNR state biologists last summer about all of this and he did not act like I knew what I was talking about, but about all the deer hunters around here have seen the problem now.

Posted: 17 February 2013 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2010-12-08

Didn’t find any today. Found 6 dead deer and picked out a couple of new stand sights. Will head out this week and get them cleaned out and be ready to hang the stands in August. Saw the strangest thing today. Saw a big hackberry tree with a limb about 10 inches in diameter with a limb growing downward from 7 feet high then going downward into the ground. It went under the ground for about 2 feet , then grew back up into the air about 6 feet high, that made my whole day. The funny thing is, I have hunted that farm for 13 years and never noticed it before. I am going to walk up that limb this fall to get to some higher branches then climb higher and sit on a limb and hunt, no need for a stand. For some reason I have the feeling something special will happen there sometime in the years to come.

Signature 

It’s funny how everyone considers honesty a virtue, yet no one wants to hear the truth

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2010-09-30

Went out coyote hunting on friday afternoon with my brother and this guy walked by at 20 yards.  Almost crapped myself.

Image Attachments
1356190872989.jpg

Posted: 18 February 2013 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-12-20

Holy cow!  Is that an elk!  I just spit out my coffee everywhere.

Posted: 18 February 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-15

That’s a keeper!  Hope you find his sheds!

No sheds!  Working 12’s next 2 days!  What is wrong with those people?  Don’t they know its shed season?

2 of 6