Presleys Waterfowl Sale
Heartland Outdoors Forum | Night fishing with a light?

Night fishing with a light?
Posted: 17 April 2012 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2010-10-21

Anybody ever nightfish with a floating or submersible light?  Was thinking of beating the heat this summer.  Used a floating light last summer on Rend Lake several times catching crappie and white bass with minnows.  Anybody got light recommendations or places on a lake they like to setup.  Tried bridges last year.

Signature 

Have bow will travel

Posted: 18 April 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1051
Joined  2010-10-13

CC, Ive never fished with a light, I bet its fun.Does the light draw alot of bugs around the boat?

Posted: 18 April 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-11-21

I think its safe to say the light draws a ton of bugs. I can remember night fishing from the bank with a lantern and oh my lord..swarms of bugs! I have seen a couple of guys in the Ozarks using a floating light fishing from docks at night. They had pretty good luck. I think docks would be a good bet, but if you are in a boat i would say try anything that makes sense and maybe something that doesnt!

Posted: 18 April 2012 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2010-10-21

Lots of bugs which seem to dissipate later into the night.  I just used a regular cheap light you see for sale in fishing sections.  Was thinking of ordering a different color, I believe would not attract insects.

Signature 

Have bow will travel

Posted: 18 April 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2010-10-05

I’ve had some good luck fishing for crappie,walleye,catfish and even trout with lights before.I have used both a floating light w/battery and a propane lantern hanging from a sheppards hook.Bugs can be a pest,but they also draw fish to the area.If you can place the light away from you and then cast to the edge of the lighted area helps.If you use a lantern make sure you place it so you won’t cast a shadow by walking between the light and fish.It also might take a while to draw fish in..be patient.
Had good luck using lights on shallow flats,where fish come in to feed at night,outside edges of weed lines and even in 14ft of water over a drop off near shore.There was a couple night where I hung a lantern off the back end of a sand bar,where a creek feed into a river…that was a blast!
Also,lights work year around,not just for summer time.It’s not 100% magic,but it can help and it’s a fun way to spend a night watching a bobber.

Signature 

Regulars By God

Posted: 20 April 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-10-10

I have used floating lights before and they work quite well. They were made in a styrofoam housing with a light and wire to a 12 volt battery. Caught lots of fish this way.

‹‹ On the Cats      FISH ON!!!! ››