Davis Ford Banner
Heartland Outdoors Forum | Firearm Microstamping? For or Against?

Firearm Microstamping? For or Against?
Posted: 22 February 2012 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2011-03-03

i see that some states are going to firearm microstamping as a way to track guns used in crimes. i guess some new guns are even coming with a certified spent cartridge from the factory now too.

personally, i dont think its entirely a bad idea. i think it could virtually do away with illegal gun transfers if it was used correctly. i mean, who’s gonna sell a gun to just anybody without protecting themselves by doing a legal transfer?

as for old guns, they could have certified gun dealers set up to shoot a blank, and issue a tamper proof certificate.

all im saying is that with this maybe we could eliminate the need for foid cards, assault weapons bans, and high capacity mag bans, and maybe with this, those of us who buy and shoot legally dont have to jump thru hoops as much.

we basically do the same thing when we buy motor vehicles. gotta have that title right?

Posted: 22 February 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2012-01-25

I do understand the points you have made but I can not agree with more gun laws. No not one more. I truly believe we have enough laws or too many presently on the books. Enforce the laws we have in place. Laws tend to take guns away from law abiding citizens as for the criminals most do not have them legally in the first place like another law will prevent them from getting guns… Restore our constitutional rights and focus on the crisis at hand please Springfield and Washington???? With the mind set of the anti gunners why not outlaw candles as they produce a lot of deaths and loss of prorerty each and every year. Or vehicles, think of all the lives that would be saved if people weren’t driving around at 65+ MPH… JMHO.

Posted: 22 February 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-03

all im saying is WHAT IF this could replace foid cards, and bans? instead of more laws, you could have less.  a registered spent cartridge from the gun, and that’s it besides the federal transfer.

no more renewing your foid card every 5 or whatever years. no more handgun permits. no more bans, of this, that, or the other. just this.

Posted: 22 February 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-08-02

What if the guy that just shot someone went to the same range as you and grabbed some of your spent brass and sprinkled it on the crime scene? Plus defeating it would be as easy as taking a file to the firing pin. It will never take the place of a foid card because the foid card before it is issued the person applying goes through a series of checks.  If you buy a gun the foid is called in and it checks your status as being able to purchase a firearm are not.  Bad ideal in my book.

Posted: 22 February 2012 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-12-23

‘tis better to tattoo the forehead of convicted criminals than to put any burden on the law abiding. I was at a function the other day listening to the oldsters talk about all the firearms they used to receive in the .....mail. I refuse to submit to any infringement on my constitutional rights…..and get kinda nasty about it when they talk about putting me on the receiving end of new laws in order to stay ahead of the thugs that I am forced to live amongst and not allowed to protect myself against….when what they are really doing is trying to track ME. FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS…..... DON’T TREAD ON ME

Posted: 22 February 2012 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-03

you people are not listening to me. what i was trying to say is that IF they could make this foolproof and tamper-proof there would be no need for foid cards, and bans on certain guns, but you only see what you want to see. the days of mail ordering guns are over. they wont be back. ever.

i believe that any state that makes people sign for draino will continue to make laws against guns, and anything else that their fear inspires. i believe the assault weapons ban in IL WILL pass. it includes ALL AR’s. yeah, youll be grandfathered in IF you go register the rifle. but dont listen to me. what do i know? im just a girl.

dont tread on me? LMAO! tea party? why dont you just say “i love supporting the 1% while my schools go down the toilet”

i’m gone, baby. gone.

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2012-01-25

I have read your posts and said I understand your points I just disagree with the new suggestion. For that, name calling and anger or frustration? I am not angry that you hold a different view than I. Most criminals do NOT have guns legally in the first place it is my opinion that NO NEW LAW will change that. Enforce the present laws and even repeal a few that only burdens the law abiding citizens. I am ok with you holding a different view than I do. I am not trying to force mine on you nor will call you a “bleeding heart liberal” for yours…  It’s ok to disagree… no harm done… Have a great day!

Posted: 24 February 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2011-12-23

Certainly understand and respect your point of view but need to point out that for the last 40 or so years I have paid attention to   what the anti gun crowd says about their ultimate goal…which is the total elimination of private firearms ownership. Consequently I am not going to submit to anything beyond as much freedom as I can possibly have….because in my lifetime freedoms have been eroded tremendously….and not just in firearms ownership. Had we as gun owners rolled over everytime a “common sense” gun bill came along without scrutinizing the language there would be no discussion to have over microstamping. Our guns and freedoms would have been gone long ago. As far as the tea party stuff, the answer to that is no, although I do have some definite libertarian leanings and like Ron Paul’s monetary and foreign policy positions. I guess in summary I would say that I am certainly glad my predecessors chose the same hard line stance I have because that is why in my opinion, we still have what we have today. Kind of surprised that you need this history lesson because in looking at your profile picture you look old enough to remember just about everything I have said about the history of the anti gun movement. Take care.