Giant Goose Ranch
Heartland Outdoors Forum | Using a Smoker

1 of 2
Using a Smoker
Posted: 07 February 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1290
Joined  2010-10-13

Just bought a new gas smoker and need your help…Ive NEVER done this before,,,And could use any help or hints ya have…Think im gonna try some quail this weekend!!!!!

Posted: 07 February 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  900
Joined  2010-10-03

ok.  What did you get?  Quail will need some moisture as it will smoke dry.  Most will wrap bacon around something like that and smoke with a real low temp.

Signature 

It’s like a blind person trying to describe a kaleidoscope

Posted: 07 February 2012 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Matt i bought a Smoke Hollow gas smoker, It has 4 racks and its gas.Got tired of paying too have it done for me….Split some apple-wood too try with the quail….

Posted: 07 February 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

Make sure you season the smoker first.  Turn that flame on as high as it will go and let it sit.  You should be able to get the temp up to 400-500.  Let it sit at that temp for a while.  Then shut the flame off.  Spray down the whole inside with cooking oil and turn flame back on.  Let it cook at around 300 for about 30 minutes.  Now you are ready to smoke.  Oh ya, DON’T spray inside with flame going.  I know you know, just making sure everyone else knows.

Before you put meat on, practice with adjusting the temp.  Everyone smoker is different.  Don’t want to waste some meat because the temp got to hot or not hot enough.

Are you doing whole bird or just breast?

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2011-12-20

Gas Smokers are the hardest to regulate temperature…Even a small breeze can and will affect you…The best thing to do is just experiment with it until you get the hang of it…

Also, pictures and test taste are required…I will be there for lunch on Saturday…

Signature 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
― John Burroughs

Posted: 07 February 2012 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Matt, Im doing whole quail, then pheasant….247 u bring the coors-light;)

Posted: 07 February 2012 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

Gas smokers can be real easy to maintain.  The key to controlling temp is controlling the air going into the smoker.  If you smoker has a bunch of gaps here and there and nothing seals up very well, its going to be tough controlling the temp.  On the box store gas smokers, the biggest problem is the door.  They never seal up very well.  Sometimes you can take fireplace rope (gasket) and fill in the gaps.  Or what I do on one of my smokers is magnet strips over the gaps.  Works great but it will melt if the heat gets up to high.  Control ALL the air and controlling the temp will be easy.  But still practice.

I would brine those birds for a couple days, especially if totally wild birds.  Pen raised birds won’t be as dry.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-12-10

I suggest wrapping the water bowl with foil to keep it clean.  The whole bowl.
Hi temp cooking spray helps keep the racks easier to clean.
Mr Clean sponges work great to get the grime off them too.

Salmon is one of my favorite items to smoke.  Apple.  hmmm. 
Lesson leardned…thought I would just string it by the top rack and let it hang.
Well I got fish soup.

Going to get a remote temp sometime.

Posted: 07 February 2012 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!Ill be posting the results….

Posted: 08 February 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-11-01

Whitetailfreak,
I converted an old fridge to a smoker/cooker.

All poultry should be brined. It just makes it cook better and helps it stay moist. Use the water pan. Bacon wrapped is also a good idea.

I read alot on smokingmeatforums.com   There is tons of information on there. I’ve done quite a bit of stuff in mine. Actually I did 30lbs of pork butt over night and am going to pull it soon.

If you want tips or some recipes, feel free to contact me. I’ll try to help.

Welcome to world of smoking.

Signature 

www.illinoisbowhunters.org

Posted: 15 February 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-07-25

Just wondered how the quail turned out?? 

Have never worked much with gas smokers but have a side firebox model.  Use a lot of apple, hickory and mesquite depending on what kind and thickness of meat I’m doing. 

If you have the patience I think smoking is one of the best way to cook meat.  Just have to experiment to see what works and what doesn’t

Posted: 15 February 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Mac the birds were AWESOME!!!I smoked them using some apple and it turned out great!!!Ive also done some chicken breast since and it was good too….You ever do any pork-butts mac????

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2010-09-30

There seem to be various opinions about the merits of gas smokers.  If you were buying a smoker today, would it be gas or electric?  (and why?)

Signature 

May fortune smile on the foolish.

Posted: 16 February 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03
Murdy - 15 February 2012 11:53 PM

There seem to be various opinions about the merits of gas smokers.  If you were buying a smoker today, would it be gas or electric?  (and why?)

Murdy, I have a wood smoker, charcoal smoker and a gas smoker.  If I were to buy one, I guess it would be electric because I don’t have one.  I have had a few electrics before.  But prefer flame and I do think there is a difference in flavor.  The good electric smokers are a set it and forget it smoking oven.  Put your meat in, set the temp, throw in some chips, leave and come back in several hours.  For me, thats not smoking.  Do they produce good food, heck ya.  Are they nice to have, yes.  Do I wish I had one sometimes, oh ya.  But overall to answer your question, I would saw neither.  I prefer charcoal smokers.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-13

Murdy I love the gas one i have…Considering Ive NEVER smoked anything its been way easy…Thinking about brining some snapping turtle and trying it with some Pecan wood…...........LOL

Posted: 16 February 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-07-25

Whitetailfreak,
I do pork butts and loins quite a bit.  Don’t always use my big smoker.  Have found it takes a lot of charcoal and / or wood to smoke at low temp then bring the temp up to cook.  I’ve smoked on the old standard Webber grill by making an indirect fire with cheap dividers and keeping the temp low for a while depending on the size of the meat.  Doesn’t take as much charcoal to get the temp up so the meat actually cooks.  I always worry a little about making sure it gets done especially with pork. 

I’ve also smoked on the big smoker and moved things to the grill to finish it or make a fire in the larger part of the smoker and foil wrap the meat so it doesn’t char while getting done.  (My smoker is a barrel type with a smaller firebox off to the side.) 

Before deer camp last fall I got a whole pork loin and sliced off pieces around a quarter inch.  After pounding them a little I put them on the smoker with a combination of apple and hickory for about 20 minutes.  Bagged and froze them for later grilling at camp.  Worked well and seemed to be a hit with everyone.  Found out one time that chops really soak up the smoke and hickory being pretty pungent really smokes them if you leave them on very long. 

Sorry to ramble on…....I think the most fun with smokers is experimenting with what works well and what doesn’t.  I’ve found myself experimenting with different sauce and spice combinations as well especially with pork. 

Glad the quail turned out well!!

1 of 2