Giant Goose Ranch
Heartland Outdoors Forum | bare bones gear

bare bones gear
Posted: 15 December 2011 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-12-11

Another question from a rookie, what gear do I really need? Any recommendations on a solid well priced pole or jigs? What gear would you absolutely not leave the house with?

Posted: 15 December 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1290
Joined  2010-10-13

We talkin ice fishing? If so im curious also…Maybe some can post us some pics.

Posted: 15 December 2011 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-03-09

If we are talking ice fishing the bare gear u would need just to fish would be a five gallon bucket with a seat of some kind,an ice scooper,an auger…..i recommend an eight inch,a six inch will work but if u hook into a hawg u might play hell getting him outta the hole,definately some warm clothes,i always take a piece of carpet with me also to keep a barrier between my feet and the ice, depending what ur fishing for i always used the el cheapo fishing poles with the plastic reels and the spring on the end and they only cost about 7-10 bucks…..or if u are looking to jig for different species u hav all kinds of choices for jigging rods…but i always fish for bluegill and crappie so the cheap ones do well for me, now as far as tackle is concerned u can get alot of money wrapped up in it…..but like i said i mainly fish for bluegills and crappie so i hav a little double sided tackle box with a good selection of 2 spot jigs….glow in the dark ones seem to work well…i also have the smallest hooks i could find for the just in case moment lol, a wieght to find the bottom(a tip is to find the bottom then reel up about 6-12 inches then set the depth), a setof nailclippers for cutting the excess line after u tie ur knots, waxworms and minnows but minnows are sometimes tricky to keep alive as they like to freeze up. and a sled to pull all ur stuff along with ya. So for now thats what i have….but as you get more into it u can get all the equipment to make it more comfortable but just to be able to get out and fish these items are what i recommend. good luck

Posted: 15 December 2011 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-11

Yes folks I was asking about ice fishing gear, I should have been more specific. bucksntrucks, thank you for the info, exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Posted: 15 December 2011 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-03-09

No problem outdoorsman, i figured thats what u meant. Keep in mind just like any sport this new adventure as i assume ur just starting out can get mighty expensive, so try not to get caught up in all the latest and greatest stuff. From my past experiences all that stuff catches the sportsman not the fish or game. I go for the stuff thats been around cuz if it didnt work they would be gone…..

Posted: 15 December 2011 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2011-02-03

Well last year was my first year and I got away with just a lawn chair, borrowed a hand ice auger(6”), picked up 2 poles somewhere( kmart has them for about $14), a few jigs and sled and scoop from farm and fleet, and a 250 count of wax worms.  I did get a $20 dallor heater from walmart for when I was fishing with buddies in there huts when it got really cold last year. You will also want the warmest waterproof boots you can get, some wool socks would help too(I’m a firm believer in wool). Now I didn’t buy all this stuff at one time, I waited to get the sled when it was on sale(get the big one from farm and fleet, you will need the room down the road)

Now I will also say that you should have some safety equipment. I carried a 75’ pc of 3/8 rope with a hole drilled threw a softball for a throw rope. Never needed it but I had one just in case. I fell threw the ice 21 years ago on my very first trip ice fishing when I was 18, so I was very nervous last year. I also don’t go alone.

You don’t need to spend alot of money to get started. Keep it simple, go with people who have all the toys to see what you want to get and learn the ropes. If your not getting bites,,,,MOVE to a new spot. You don’t have to move far, I only go 20’ at a time, but I know the lake I was fishing very well.

Have fun and be safe!

BTW if you want to find info,,,,iceshanty.com Its a forum just for ice fishing.

Posted: 16 December 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2011-11-21

I never go ice fishing with out a 12pack or greater of beer..on the really cold days a pint of Jack works wonders

Posted: 16 December 2011 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2010-11-30

And don’t be afraid to move to new spots, I have been and drilled a hole no bite, drill a new one with in a foot to 16 inches and filled 1/2 a bucket. And also have drilled & drilled & drilled & drilled & drilled drank my 12 pack, and had to pick up more beer on the way home. Also remember when it is super cold like that don’t bundle up real good till you get to fishing, if you have to walk a little or whatever, if you start to sweat before fishing your going to freeze your behind off. But I will tell you it is worth it,  fish caught through the ice, taken home, cleaned and fried. My god it is unbelievable!!!

Posted: 16 December 2011 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2010-11-30

BucknBass I do beleive we could get along ice fishin real well according to your last post

Posted: 16 December 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2011-11-21

Haha well when we have good ice, come find me and lets kill some slabs and a couple 12’s

Posted: 16 December 2011 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-11

Good stuff, thanks for the info, I’ll start with the twelve pack and work my way up…

Posted: 22 January 2013 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-12-01

5 gallon bucket with flotation cushion for seat/safety/warmth. 
in bucket 2 schoolys ice fishing poles
ice skimmer
forceps for deeply hooked fish
baileys irish creme and thermos of hot black coffee
in my $25 snow ski bibs (black to absorb suns heatwaves)
waxies to keep from freezing
35mm film can of assorted ice fishing jigs
5” ice auger-remember the larger blade size makes holes longer/harder to drill,and usually you’ll drill alot of holes to find the spot on the spot.
If your gonna spend money on ice fishing spend it on good warm boots,mine from cabella’s are rated to -100f.
Years ago ran into two “grumpy old men” at dawson lake with charcoal burning in the bottom of an extra 5 gal bucket,used as a handwarmer! I applauded their ingenuity and desire to icefish even at an advanced age with diminished circulation. 
The old boys sure had some good stories.

‹‹ When will ice be here!      Banner ››